Brief encounters with the movies

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1408


2007
USA

Director: Mikael Håfström
Writers: Matt Greenberg, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski 
Based on a short story by Stephen King 
Cast: John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, Tony Shalhoub, Mary McCormack 
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for thematic material including disturbing sequences of violence and terror, frightening images and language

Story:
Writer Mike Enslin (John Cusack) believes only in what he can see with his own two eyes. He's written a string of bestsellers discrediting paranormal events in the most infamous haunted houses and graveyards around the world, always hoping for some proof of "afterlife." The target of his latest literary project is suite 1408 of New York's notorious Dolphin Hotel.  The room is permanently "unavailable for guests"; but after he threatens to sue the hotel, Enslin is allowed to spend a night in the room.  And it's a night during which his cynical skepticism is going to change forever.  Because at the Dolphin, when you stay in room 1408, just like the song says: Some guests check in, but they can never leave.
My Thoughts:
Watched this a few weeks ago on (I think) TBS.  I'd been watching Winter Olympics coverage for several days straight, and needed some relief.  I had seen it before – I think we got it from Netflix back around the time it was first out. Or maybe it was on one of the movie channels. Anyway, I was very disappointed with it that first time, but after seeing it again, it seemed much more frightening than I remembered. I think the special effects are too over-the-top to be really scary; when a movie becomes a cartoon it loses much of its potential for true spookiness. But on second view, I was able to get past all the CGI junk and enjoy the really very creepy story a bit more. Still, the scariest thing about it was watching Cusack crawling around on that hotel carpet!  Yow!

My IMDb Rating: 5 stars out of a possible 10

No comments:

Post a Comment